We're Hiring a Director of Member Engagement
Urban Design Forum seeks a full-time Director of Member Engagement to strengthen our relationship with our community of 750 members in the architecture, planning, and development industries. We are searching for a mid-career professional excited to join a small, fast-growing team.
About the Urban Design Forum
Urban Design Forum mobilizes civic leaders to confront the defining issues facing New York City. We work with our 750 members to investigate complex challenges in the built environment, study alternative approaches from cities around the world, and advance progressive strategies to build a more dynamic and democratic city. Our programs are guided by the following values:
- We believe the design and development communities must address enduring injustices in New York City, such as housing segregation, economic inequality, and environmental racism.
- We believe New York should learn from international cities for pioneering and inspiring solutions to urban challenges.
- We believe creating interdisciplinary cohorts of emerging leaders can empower more diverse civic leadership.
- We believe government agencies should develop a long-term vision for the built environment, rather than achieve short-term wins.
- We believe decision-makers must build with, and not for, traditionally disenfranchised communities–such as women, BIPOC, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities.
- We believe the public should be mobilized around the value of design in achieving equity, inclusion, and sustainability in the built environment.
As Director of Member Engagement, you will be the primary point of contact to our community and weave our members’ work and ideas into our programs and publications. You will work on a team with our Executive Director, Development Associate, and Communications Manager. We are searching for a thoughtful convener and talented networker interested to mobilize our community to build a more dynamic and democratic city.
- Membership Development – Develop innovative strategies to diversify our membership, research prospective members and strategize recruitment and engagement.
- Community Stewardship – Liaise with individual and company members on a regular basis and support members in networking, building teams and exchanging ideas.
- Program Strategy – Collaborate with program directors on integrating members into programming as speakers and advisors, and strategize editorial placements with our communications manager.
- Major Giving Programs – Expand individual and company giving programs by organizing monthly events with distinguished civic leaders.
- Accounts Management – Liaise with individual and company members on a regular basis and integrate their research and expertise into our programming.
- Special Projects – Support the retention of Company Members through regular outreach and meetings.
- Personable, confident and outgoing with excellent face-to-face and written communication skills.
- Ambitious and target-driven, with strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Broad curiosity on issues in the built environment, including housing, economic development, mobility, and climate.
- Experience in business development or network weaving.
- Experience managing and presenting in front of large groups of people.
- Experience with CRM platforms, such as Salesforce, is a plus.
- Experience in event production and program management is a plus.
- Experience in community and stakeholder engagement is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 4-7 years of relevant work experience; or a Master’s Degree with 2-5 years of relevant work experience.
Location & Schedule
This position will report to our New York City office beginning in September. We expect to return to the office Tuesday through Thursday, and work from home on Monday and Friday. We occasionally host events on nights and weekends.
Compensation & Benefits
The expected salary for this position will be $70,000 – 80,000. We offer a competitive benefits package, including health, dental, vision, vacation, professional development and retirement benefits.
How to Apply
Applications are due Friday, August 27 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to attracting and retaining a talented and diverse team of professionals that resembles the city we serve. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please contact email@example.com.