We're Hiring a Communications Manager
The Urban Design Forum seeks a full-time Communications Manager. We’re searching for an early- to mid-career professional excited to join a small, fast-growing team. Under the guidance of the Executive Director and in coordination with program staff, you will produce all organizational communications, strategize press engagement, and assist with special projects.
About the Urban Design Forum
The Urban Design Forum mobilizes civic leaders to confront the defining issues facing New York City. We work with our 750 members to investigate complex challenges in the built environment, study alternative approaches from cities around the world, and advance progressive strategies to build a more dynamic and democratic city. Our programs are guided by the following values:
- We believe the design and development communities must address enduring injustices in New York City, such as housing segregation, economic inequality, and environmental racism.
- We believe New York should learn from international cities for pioneering and inspiring solutions to urban challenges.
- We believe creating interdisciplinary cohorts of emerging leaders can empower more diverse civic leadership.
- We believe government agencies should develop a long-term vision for the built environment, rather than achieve short-term wins.
- We believe decision-makers must build with, and not for, traditionally disenfranchised communities–such as women, BIPOC, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities.
- We believe the public should be mobilized around the value of design in achieving equity, inclusion, and sustainability in the built environment.
The Communications Manager will be a sharp writer and strategic thinker able to amplify the value of our work to our members and the broader public.
- Communications Strategy – Develops a digital communications strategy with our program and executive staff.
- External Communications – Writes and edits newsletters, invitations, press releases, presentations, web and social media content, and other communications.
- Media Engagement – Liaises with industry press to publicize research, events, policy recommendations, and member-authored op-eds.
- Development Support – Collaborates with development staff to create and refine marketing materials, presentations, and annual reports.
- Design Management – Coordinates graphic design campaigns and projects with our external consultant.
- Community Outreach – Liaises with our members to gather news, events and opportunities from our network.
- Special Projects – Assists with special projects and administrative tasks as required.
- Deep commitment to and passion for addressing urban inequity.
- Broad curiosity on issues in the built environment, including housing, economic development, mobility, and climate.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to represent the organization to partners and members.
- Experience in strategic and/or digital communications is a plus.
- Experience in event production and program management is a plus.
- Familiarity in Adobe Creative Suite and video editing software is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 2-5 years of relevant work experience; or a Master’s Degree and 1-3 years of relevant work experience.
Location & Schedule
This position will report to our New York City office beginning in September. We expect to return to the office Tuesday through Thursday, and work from home on Monday and Friday. We occasionally host events on nights and weekends.
Compensation & Benefits
The expected salary for this position will be $55,000 – 65,000. We offer a competitive benefits package, including health, dental, vision, vacation, professional development and retirement benefits.
How to Apply
Applications are due Friday, August 6 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to attracting and retaining a talented and diverse team of professionals that resembles the city we serve. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.