The Urban Design Forum gathers designers, planners, developers and civic leaders to debate the defining issues facing our cities. Based in New York City, we host groundbreaking conferences, roundtables on local issues, and tours of ongoing building projects.
The Development & Communications Associate is a new role at the Urban Design Forum. Under the guidance of the Executive Director, you will produce all organizational communications, coordinate membership development and major giving efforts, and assist with administrative tasks and special projects.
We’re searching for an early-career professional excited about joining a small, fast-paced team in a new role; an information sponge who keeps up with new research and best practices in the field; and a clever problem-solver who wants to be a partner in our overall strategy.
- Supports membership development efforts, including coordinating annual renewals, drafting invitation letters, and maintaining the membership database.
- Executes the development of a new corporate membership program by researching prospects, initiating outreach, attending meetings, and managing follow-up.
- Oversees a major giving program by organizing monthly luncheons with distinguished civic leaders.
- Develops a digital communications strategy with senior staff.
- Writes and edits newsletters, invitations, press releases, presentations, and other communications.
- Produces original, engaging content for website and social networks. Coordinates public and media outreach to promote the Urban Design Forum locally and internationally.
- Liaises with members of the Urban Design Forum.
- Assists with scheduling and other administrative tasks and special projects as required.
The ideal candidate will have ↓
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Design Criticism, Communications, Urban Planning, Public Policy, Architecture, Real Estate Development,
or a related field and 1-2 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in membership development, fundraising, grant writing, strategic communications and/or digital engagement preferred.
- Polished and professional oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign.
- Interest and experience with photography and video production.
- Familiarity with web-based tools, such as WordPress, HTML, CSS, etc.
- Strong interest in urban planning and policy, architecture, landscape architecture, real estate development, housing, transportation, design journalism or related fields.
How to Apply ↓
Please submit a resume, cover letter with salary requirements, and 1 writing samples (1-3 pages, as .doc or .pdf only) with the subject line “Development & Communications Associate” to firstname.lastname@example.org.